Monday, May 4, 2015

Jsem z Ameriky, I am from America

4) Language Issues

Before I began my study abroad experience I knew that language barriers would be a challenge.  However, I was under the impression that most people in the Czech Republic spoke some English.  Looking back, I realize how naive of an assumption that was.  I am embarrassed to even admit that I believed everyone spoke a bit of English.  Nevertheless, the language barrier has allowed me to be more empathetic of a person as well as acquire some new skills that I would not have otherwise learned.

At restaurants the language barrier is very evident.  Although some restaurants have English translation, many are only in Czech.  On the bright side, many have pictures so it is easy to point at the picture of the food you would like to order.  As many of the waiters and waitresses only speak Czech it is difficult to try and order a meal without a particular item, such no sauce.  Only receiving food with all of the original ingredients on it has helped me become less picky.  My trip to Europe has helped me become more adventurous in my food choice.  I have even learned to enjoy some spicy food since I have been overseas. 

Another area of my life that becomes more difficult when living in a country that speaks another language is getting directions.  It is nearly impossible to ask anyone here for directions.  Even if someone could understand me and was willing to help, I probably could not understand their response.  At first, this was incredibly inconvenient.  However, I have gotten a lot better at reading maps.  I can go to public transportation centers and understand what trams go to what stops.  This trip has allowed me to feel comfortable navigating throughout Europe.  I hope that this knowledge can help me navigate throughout larger cities within the United States as well. 


The other students that live in our dorm thankfully speak very good English.  This has allowed me to meet students from a variety of different countries and be able to communicate with them.  Overall, the language barrier is difficult, but it has helped me grow as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment